Celebrating Fashion Revolution week with Alliance members across the globe:
Every year, Fashion Revolution Week is celebrated in remembrance of the Rana Plaza factory collapse, where over 1,000 people were killed on April 24, 2013 outside Dhaka, Bangladesh. Fashion Revolution Week urges millions of consumers around the world to ask: "Who Made My Clothes?" and demand greater transparency in the fashion supply chain.
Around the world, members of the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise answered with photos, videos, and messages sharing the stories of their artisan partners: explore posts from TO THE MARKET, Living Threads Co., Artisan and Fox, The Batik Boutique, Mata Traders, Pebble Child, Soko, Pangea, Sprout Enterprise, ABURY, and GlobeIn! Then, read "Fashion Revolution Week: 6 Ways to Shop Mindfully," in Vogue UK, and ask "How much has actually changed 4 years on from the Rana Plaza collapse" with Refinery29.
The Alliance in the field: Jordan!
This month, Alliance for Artisan Enterprise director Peggy Clark visited Jordan with the Jordan River Foundation, members of the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise Advisory Board, and more! One of the Jordan River Foundation's keystone projects is the Bani Hamida Rug Weaving Project, an artisan business sustained for over 30 years. The project reaches more than 1,300 women each year, and supporting hundreds of Bedouin families.
Learn more about the trip and find photos on the Alliance Facebook page!
- On Thursday, April 20, brand strategist Robin Albin discussed the basics of building strong personal and business brands with members of the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise community. Did you miss our previous Digital Learning Series sessions? Watch online today!
- The third edition of the ABURY Design Experience is accepting entries from designers through May 12! Apply today; the winning designer will head to Ethiopia for 2 months to live and work with the artisan community Sabahar.
- TINKUY, a gathering of weavers hosted by the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco and Andean Textile Arts, will take place November 8-11, 2017 in Cusco, Peru. Join Alliance members Kandahar Treasure, Ock Pop Tok, and the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco at this extraordinary event! Contact Gina Rogari for more information.
- Hear from Fibre Tibet's Monica Garry about sourcing sustainable cashmere on the AOW Handmade blog
- Are your clothes poisoning the planet? How can we make the fashion industry more sustainable? Hear from Angel Chang in her recent TED talk
- “How can we create a business and supply chain model where everyone wins?” Learn from Soko founder Gwendolyn Floyd on the Nordstrom Blog
- Artisan sector expert Lori Fox has 10 years experience in partnership development and implementing structural systems for asuccessful artisan based businesses. Are you interested in connecting with a new designer or hiring a creative director? Contact Lori today.
- Thrums Books was recently recognized by the Independent Book Publishers' Association for Oaxaca Stories in Cloth by Eric Mindling and Textile Fiestas of Mexico by Sheri Brautigam. Congratulations!
- Meet A., an asylum seeker from Syria, living in Malaysia in "Refugee Artisans: We Are Human," a short film by Earth Heir
Did we miss something? Email email@example.com with updates from your organization to be featured in next month's letter.
Are you interested in expanding your network of trade shows, markets, and other events this year? Explore upcoming events for artisan businesses around the world in the Alliance Member Portal (password: alliance2012). Find relevant contact information, application details, and 2017 deadlines here!
Then, explore the full list of current Alliance for Artisan Enterprise member organizations, and get in touch today!