Alliance in the field: China!
This September, the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise team visited over 15 exceptional artisan entrepreneurs located in Tibetan areas throughout western China. We are so inspired by the vibrant entrepreneurial economy in these nomadic communities and are looking forward to supporting the growth of these businesses with some key partners! Find additional information about this visit (including details on the Artisan Value Chain Toolkit and Alliance-Kiva Artisan Loan Program) on our website very soon!
Digital Learning Series: Building Artisan-Retail Partnerships for Success
On October 13, 2016, join Mercado Global's Creative Director, Meg Koglin, for a lively discussion on how to build artisan-retail partnerships for success. With extensive experience on both sides of artisan-retailer partnerships in her current position at Mercado Global, an ethical fashion brand and organization working with artisans in Guatemala, and in many roles building design and sourcing categories at major retailers including Eileen Fisher, she will share her unique perspective. From the corporate to the cooperative, learn more from her real-world examples and strategies to make these partnerships a win-win. The session will last one hour, beginning at 3:00pm EDT.
Sign up today and watch previous sessions on the Alliance member portal (password: alliance2012)!
- Download AOW Handmade's Behind the Scenes look at Portugal's FIA Lisboa, a small retail show highlighting the unique craftsmanship throughout Portugal, today! Alliance members, use the code "Portugal" for a free peek!
- This month, Alliance members Maya Traditions Foundation and Kakaw Designs released an exclusive collaborative collection - learn more and shop!
- Explore Sasa Design's brand new website and their 2016 lookbook
- Find Hathay Bunano Proshikon Society's brand Pebble featured in The Little Market
- Get to know Living Threads Co. and how they support traditional artisans in Modern Reston
- Is anyone in your community looking for internship opportunities? Learn more about working with Human Connections on their website
- Enter to win one of five free copies of Eric Mindling's Oaxaca Stories in Cloth from Goodreads
- Indego Africa's 2016 pre-fall collection features new knits handspun in Rwanda; read more about the process on their blog
- Registration for the NYNOW Winter 2017 show is now open! Learn more and register online
- In January and February 2017, join the International Folk Art Alliance in their Passport to Folk Art trip to Cuba!
- Find Kakaw Designs Guatemalan embroidery featured on The Curious Button
Did we miss something? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with updates from your organization to be featured in next month's letter.
Read about the state of the artisan sector, consumer trends, development issues, and more:
- On PBS, discover a weaver who helped resurrect an endangered and ancient Lao artform
- This month, scientists uncovered the oldest indigo-dyed fabric ever in Peru
- Explore Textile Fiestas of Mexico in a new guidebook from Oaxaca Culture!
- Discover the history and culture behind Ancient Inca Textiles, from the Ancient History Encyclopedia
The Alliance community now contains 118 unique members and partners. Take advantage of their extraordinary skills, knowledge, and experience and get in touch today!
Find our member directories, artisan loan application, logo, and other important resources in the Alliance member portal using the password alliance2012.