Connect with the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise!
The Alliance community is growing every day; this April, 13 new members joined our network.
Take advantage of these exceptional organizations! Each of our members is working hard to promote the full potential of artisan enterprise across the globe. Get connected, share learnings, and explore collaboration. Find more information about all current members here, and consult our member portal for contact and social media directories (password: alliance2012)!
Unlocking the economic potential of the artisan sector at the Skoll World Forum:
April 13-15, 2016, nearly 1,000 leaders from over 60 countries gathered at Oxford's Said Business School for the Skoll World Forum. This annual gathering of thought leaders pushes the boundaries on global innovation and social change. Alliance director Peggy Clark was joined by members, partners, and more at a discussion on unlocking artisan economic development. Read more about the session on our blog!
Spotlight: International Folk Art Market
Join the Alliance in Santa Fe, New Mexico this July for the 13th annual International Folk Art Market! The world's largest market of its kind, the Folk Art Market provides a venue for master artisans to display, demonstrate, and sell their work. This year, the market will feature over 150 folk artists from 50 countries! The Alliance is proud to host a credit preparedness workshop at the market in collaboration with the International Folk Art Alliance. More details coming soon!
Tickets for this year's market go on sale May 1; learn more and start planning your visit now! Can't make it to New Mexico this year? Shop the market online at ifamonline.org.
- This April, our community grew to over 90 member organizations. Learn more about Andean Textile Arts, Kauli, Sertodo Copper, Eco Fashion Talk, WEConnect International, Helping Hand Partners, Indego Africa,Mercado Global, Manos del Uruguay, Olivia Knox, polly & other stories, Sidai Designs, The Citizenry, TO THE MARKET, and Wisteria!
- Hear from TRIA ETC. founder Princess Tatiana Blatnik in a new interview with Real Style Network
- GoodWeave founder Nina Smith examines child labor and exploitation in her new post on Medium
- Find new Alliance member TO THE MARKET featured in the NY Timesand Fashion Times!
- Learn more about Mercado Global's work in Guatemala on HonestlyWTF
- Find chandelier earrings by Mercedes Salazar featured at Intermix
- This July, volunteer with IFAA at Santa Fe Folk Art Market!
- Are you interested in attending the NYNOW August show? Learn more about trends from the Winter 2016 show here
- Find Mimeyco straw bags featured on the "Best of Etsy" in The Neotrad
- Here more about Indego African in an interview with Country Director Rosine Urujeni on Design Indaba
Did we miss something? Email email@example.com with updates from your organization to be featured in next month's letter.
Read about the state of the artisan sector, consumer trends, development issues, and more:
- "The Handmade Effect: What's Love Got to Do with It?" by Christopher Fuchs, Martin Schreier, and Stijn van Osselaer
- "Authenticity and Artisans" by Ethical Fashion Initiative founder Simone Cipriani, Huffington Post
- "Photographer Captures the Breathtaking Beauty of Mexico's Indigenous Communities," in Huffington Post
- "What Happens When Fashion Becomes Fast, Disposable, and Cheap?" from NPR
- "An Interview with Carry Somers, the Founder of Fashion Revolution" in HuffPost Style
AOW Handmade Reports - member discount!
Alliance member Annie Waterman recently launched AOW Handmade, an industry report initiative that provides detailed updates on trends, shows, and suppliers in the artisan sector. Her newest reports cover Ambiente and the Peru Gift Show. The Alliance is thrilled to offer a 20% discount on these reports for all members! Learn more about AOW Handmade and purchase a report on her website using the promo code ALLIANCE.